Thursday, April 8, 2010

Soundcloud Song: The PAD Challenge Results

I started the PAD Challenge a week ago today and although the official deadline isn't until tomorrow at noon, I thought I would post my contribution to the PAD Challenge, a song called Breaching The Heliopause. Predictably, at least to me, Breaching The Heliopause is a little darker in its vibe, falling short of the traditional house or trance sound I was aiming for, but I'm still pretty pleased with the results.

Breaching The Heliopause by Reason Patch A Day

Breaching The Heliopause was created using Record + Reason. As was the case with the other songs I posted to Soundcloud and referenced here, Breaching The Heliopause was created using only instrument and effect patches that I built, most of which have been shared here on PAD. In case you're curious about the patches I used in the song, below are complete lists with links for each patch and post that I used.

Instrument/Combinator Patches:



Effect Combinators:



There are a few additional patches that I used in Breaching The Heliopause that haven't yet been posted here. My Tinnitus synth sound was processed using the Combinator "A Little Darker," which was included in the Reason Patch A Day Archive Refill, but hasn't been posted separately yet. Also, I used a few DrumBox Drum Machine patches that I created, but haven't had time to post here. You'll be seeing those shortly.

I don't think this would have been possible without Ruurd's help this week. So, thanks again Ruurd!

I'm really looking forward to hearing what everyone else comes up with. Expect more song posts highlighting reader PAD Challenge songs, as they start coming in.

6 comments:

Lewis.72 said...

Dig the song! I'm a long way from finished myself... programmed the initial drum pattern yesterday and found all the sounds I need (5 PAD patches), still have a lot of sequencing and structure to work out tonight.

Patch-A-Day Robbneu said...

Thanks for the comment about the song, Lewis. Regarding your entry, a week was just an arbitrary deadline I pulled out of the air. If you don't manage to squeeze it into your schedule, I'll certainly post your song anyway, when you're done. I don't know if you read my FAQ, which I posted back when the blog started, but it was always my intention to highlight music people were making with PAD patches. The "PAD Challenge" was just a way to set a fire under myself. It was never intended to cause anyone any stress. :)

V2057 said...

Man, I'm quite impressed with this song. I really dig the darker vibe from this. I've been working on my song for the last two days, but I can't quite seem to get the levels right. I'm unable to accurately accentuate the instruments and effects the way I want to.

That bass sound is so nice! Well done once again!

Patch-A-Day Robbneu said...

Thanks, V2057! I appreciate that. The bass was actually the most difficult part of the track. Everything else just sort of fell into place, but I went through almost every bass patch I had to try to get something that I thought suited the track. I'm not really convinced this particular patch works, but I haven't gotten much distance from the track, so it's hard to really know.

Hydlide said...

I like this song very much! I listened to it yesterday, and I just re-listened to it again.

It just shows the amount of work you put into these things, and that the whole thing just comes together inside this song you made.

I like the whole vibe of the song with the blended pad with its really deep going bass that pierces right through it.

Awesome stuff! And once again, I loved the idea for setting this 'challenge' up :D

Patch-A-Day Robbneu said...

Hey, thanks a lot Hydlide! I really love dance music, but every time I try to make a dance tune, it usually turns out like this. Dark, a little menacing, and only a little danceable. Still, I appreciate the comments and I'm glad you liked it. :)