Tuesday, February 16, 2010

More Patches Every Day... Elsewhere!

Apparently the challenge of designing a new instrument patch every day is alluring to other folks!

Ghostly has just started his blog, Alesis Micron - Patch A Day, creating a new patch for his damn sexy Alesis Micron, every single day. And Hydlide has also started his own series of articles called "Propellerhead Reason 4 - A Patch a Day" on his website The Sound of Reason. Check out his progress so far by visiting him here.

If I can offer any unsolicited advice, its this: not every patch will work, so don't be afraid to fail or put up a stinker from time to time. Just own up to it when the patches don't quite come out the way you wanted and try to enjoy the process. It can be a little maddening, but also a lot of fun.

Thanks, guys, for helping to prove this idea has some merit! Good luck to you both and I hope both of your attempts at this crazy process is rewarding!

4 comments:

Hydlide said...

Cheers for the post ;)

Mainly I must admit I got the initial idea when I stumbled on your website.

I personally liked the idea behind it. However, personally I can't really keep up the pace atm since I am going nuts on the amount of videos I am creating about reason (call it a video a day ;))

Still, I apreciate the mention. I love your work (even though I don't always comment on it).

But still you desirve a lot of respect.

/me tips hat

signed, Hyd

Patch-A-Day Robbneu said...

Hey, thanks for the kind words, Hydlide. I appreciate that. It can be pretty difficult doing a new patch every day, isn't it? My record this month is proof enough of that. I think I've missed more days this February than I've missed since starting the blog, but it's an interesting challenge, and I've learned a lot doing it.

Looking forward to more of what you put up! Take care!

ghostly606 said...

Hey,

Sorry to comment on such an old post but I have just resurrected my hardware synth patch a day concept, although the synth is different, as is the frequency! The patch settings may be completely lost on you but check it out if you can:

http://microkorg-patch-a-week.blogspot.co.uk/

Belated congratulations on passing the 1000 post mark by the way, a quite phenomenal feat, AND you're blog is as readable as ever. Good work!

ghostly

PS Music has taken a back seat for me over the past couple of years, it's great to be back programming synths again!

Patch-A-Day Robbneu said...

Great to have you back at it, Ghostly! I'll definitely be checking in on your blog to watch your progress!