Have you picked up Red Rock Sound's brilliant Ivoks Electromusical Synthesizer yet? I've really tried to resist the urge to pick up random REs because I'd rather know how to use a few tools really well, than have access to a bunch of tools I don't understand, but something about Ivoks intrigued me and so I bought it a shortly after it arrived.
It really is a fun little synth. I'm still trying to wrap my brain around how its Modulator works, so I'm far from really knowing this synth, but I got on a roll yesterday creating a series of synth patches that I thought I'd share. Named after fictional, sometimes megalomaniacal computers from books and movies, I present the CPU series:
- CPU - Colossus ( Ivoks Patch )
- CPU - Continuity ( Ivoks Patch )
- CPU - Gokubi ( Ivoks Patch )
- CPU - Guardian ( Ivoks Patch )
- CPU - Mandarax ( Ivoks Patch )
- CPU - Neuromancer ( Ivoks Patch )
- CPU - Project 2501 ( Ivoks Patch )
- CPU - Rei Toei ( Ivoks Patch )
- CPU - Tabernacle ( Ivoks Patch )
- CPU - The Thinker ( Ivoks Patch )
- CPU - Wintermute ( Ivoks Patch )
- CPU - WOPR ( Ivoks Patch )
The patches sound like their namesakes and are filled with 70's bleeps and bloops. If you're looking for something subtle and smooth, these probably aren't the patches for you, but if you're looking for a sound that's decidedly cro-magnon school, these might scratch that itch. Try them with some heavy, split stereo delay and some dub style reverb.